sql for beginners...

A place for users and developers of the Xataface to discuss and receive support.

Postby maddin » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:40 am

me again...sorry

a new day and a new problem..
i tried my best to write a trigger to update a related record

like in the facultyOfWidgetry example i have a table called catalogue and a table workflow
the relationship is stored in a table programcourses

my relationships.ini in catalogue folder looks like this:
//----------------------------------------------snip-------------------
[workflow]
__sql__ = "SELECT * FROM programcourses pc INNER JOIN workflow c ON pc.local_ID = c.local_ID WHERE pc.artikel_ID = '$artikel_ID'"
//----------------------------------------------snap---------------------

my plan was to update the table catalogue when i save a record in the workflow table
unfortunately my sql knowledge is quite poor

hopefully somebody of you can help?

strval('completed') != 0){
//-----------------------outline----------------------------------------------------------------------
// $record->strval('completed')is a date time field
how to sql now?... i neither know the correct sytax nor do i know how to figure out the related "artikel_ID"
// $sql = 'UPDATE catalogue'
// . ' SET $record->strval('lang_ID') = '$record->strval('completed')''
// . ' WHERE artikel_ID = "is like the related artikel_id(don«t know how to get it)"';

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$response['--msg'] .= "\nchanged status in catalogue to: ".$record->strval('completed');
} else {
return PEAR::raiseError(
"Errors occurred while saving Record. Record could not be inserted",
DATAFACE_E_NOTICE);
}

}

}

?>

cheers
martin
maddin

Postby shannah » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:19 pm

Hi Martin,

Okay, I'm not sure what your table schema looks like, but i think your SQL will be something along these lines:

Code: Select all
$sql = "UPDATE `catalogue` SET `".str_replace('`','',$record->strval('lang_ID'))."` = '".addslashes($record->strval('completed'))."' WHERE `artikel_ID` = '".addslashes($artikel_ID)."'";

The $artikel_ID variable that I use above would have to be obtained by doing the inverse sql query as you use for the workflows relationship
e.g.
Code: Select all
$sql2 = "select `artikel_ID` from `programcourses` where `local_ID`='".addslashes($record->strval('local_ID'))."'";

Hope this helps a little.

-Steve
--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby maddin » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:03 am

thank you steve for the competent help
your code helped and , more important , was more or less self explaining how this can be done.
cheers
martin
maddin

Return to Xataface Users