A tables and fields display language tool (Excel Sheet)

A place for users and developers of the Xataface to discuss and receive support.

A tables and fields display language tool (Excel Sheet)

Postby jonbfl » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:16 pm

Okay folks, here it is my first little Xataface contribution.

There is more than one way to supply the display vocabulary for Xataface. Probably the most traditional way is to use the vocabulary.ini and fields.ini files.

Recently, I began using Xataface in the multilingual context. When you go to this mode, you'll have to supply your vocabulary as additions to the language files that are located in the /lang folder. All I am dealing with at the moment is the matter of tablename and field name translations, so that is what this addresses.

I believe this will also work with a single language as a comprehensive replacement for vocabulary.

The background information for this is in this wiki article:
http://xataface.com/documentation/tutor ... eld_labels

I had a large number of tables and fields to be translated, so I decided to create an Excel sheet that would provide me with already formatted Xataface syntax to be added to the respective languages.ini files. In this case, that would be en.ini and es.ini.

I have left my users file in the sheet I am distributing, so you can see how it works.

It's very simple to use. Enter your first tablename in cell A4. Then copy the formula in cell C1 to A4 - that will generate the Xataface File/TableName syntax in C4. Now enter the table name as you wish for it to appear in Xataface in D1 E1 contains a universal formula that will create the exact terminology to be added to the language .ini file (in this case en.ini)

now in Column B, starting in B5, enter your Field/Column Names as they are in MySQL. Continue until all the fields you want to label are added.

In Column A, Copy the cell with the current table name (A4 in this example) into all the cells in Column A for this table. - Column C will now have all the correct Xataface syntax.

Add your field/column titles to Column D and Voila! you have the entries in Column E that should be appended to the end (sic) of en.ini

BE SURE to use Unicode pasting (Paste Special) and enable UTF-8 encoding if working in multiple languages and using non-native keyboards...

I have included a set of columns for Spanish as well, so you can adapt it to multiple languages if desired.

In case things go wrong, and you inadvertently erase formulas, the originals are all in the area above the split, ready to be copied.

Good Luck to all
Jon B

I guess we can't upload Excel Sheets :( , so I will fileshare it later....
OK -
http://bravo.newnetenterprises.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/xataface_tables-field_labels_for_language_files.xls
jonbfl

Return to Xataface Users