New installation - Blank page

A place to discuss and receive support for the Web Auction application.

New installation - Blank page

Postby sri » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:38 pm

Hello,

This is the first time I've installed Dataface and webauction script.

Dataface installation is successful as can be seen from here.

Web host is yahoo and they don't permit uploading of/renaming to files having a dot at the front. Hence some Dataface files couldn't uploaded be as can be seen from the screenshot below:

Is this a problem?

In config.inc.php of webauction, I have the following:

Code: Select all
define('dataface', '%%DATAFACE_PATH%%');

define('http://auctions.blujewl.com/dataface', '%%DATAFACE_URL%%');

When I access the installation URL of webauction, get a blank page.

Any help is appreciated.
sri

Postby shannah » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:42 pm

One problem is your config.inc.php. You should have replaced the %%DATAFACE_PATH%% etc.. with your values and not the DATAFACE_INSTALLATION_PATH values...
i.e. Your value goes in the second parameter of the define() function.

Once you have fixed that, if you continue to get a blank screen, check your error log for clues as to what the error might be.

-Steve
shannah

Postby sri » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:48 pm

Thanks for the reply Steve.

I fixed the values in config.inc.php and continue to get blank page.

How/where do I check the error log?
sri

Postby shannah » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:07 pm

That will depend on your server.

A common place for *nix servers is /var/www/httpd/error_log . If you have a web control panel, you may only have access to the error log through it. If you cannot find it, check with your hosting provider.

You can also try to get it to write the errors to the screen by adding the following to the beginning of your index.php file:

error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', 'on');

-Steve
shannah

Postby sri » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:20 pm

I enabled access logs (10 most recent files) in the Yahoo hosting control panel. They will be generated at midnight. I am not sure if these are the same as 'error logs' that are required from what you say.

I added the two lines above the php opening tag and see the lines themselves on the screen.

URL: http://auctions.blujewl.com/index.php

Is it possible for you to kindly spend 5-10 min of your time to look into this if I provide you the FTP and control panel access details?
sri

Postby shannah » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:34 pm

Those lines are PHP code and have to be placed inside the PHP tags... i.e. after the opening
-Steve
shannah

Postby sri » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:59 pm

This is the error:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (46) in /dataface/Dataface/Application.php on line 202
Error connecting to the database: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (46)

The db connection settings are to be specified inside conf.ini like so. Is it correct? Any other place where I should specify them?

[_database]
host="localhost"
user="*****"
password="*********"
name="bluauction"

(replaced the actual password w/ asterisks)
Last edited by sri on Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
sri

Postby shannah » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:07 am

OK.. there's your problem. It isn't even able to connect to mysql. The only conf.ini setting that could make any difference at this point is the 'host' directive, because it isn't even getting to the point where it can provide a username, password, or database name.

Check with your hosting provider to find out the host for your mysql database.

(Of course, I'm assuming that your host has MySQL and you have already set up the database).

-Steve
shannah

Postby sri » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:11 am

You are right on the target Steve. It's indeed the host name which was the problem. For Yahoo hosting, it's 'mysql' and not 'localhost'. It's all working fine now. This is a good learning experience for me. I shall write a easy-to-follow installation tutorial on DF and Webauction soon on my blog.

Thank you for your help. By the way, it's not my site and I am installing for someone else.

If anyone also needs free installation help, they can approach me through http://www.scriptinstall4free.com. I shall add Dataface and webauction to the list of scripts I install for free.
sri

Return to Web Auction Discussion