CSS2-capable browsers

A place to discuss and receive support for the Web Auction application.

CSS2-capable browsers

Postby Anthony Barber » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:52 pm

Hi Steve,
As I have mentioned, I am in Germany, but I supervise about 10 computers in Denmark using VNC. I decided to check if I could access my test sever with Webauction, by going on one of the Danish computers and using their IE to access my site. I discovered that the Plone.CSS formating was being ignored. On all the Danish computers I checked they had IE 6 with service pack 2. (I only mentioned VNC to assure you I had seen the results and personally checked the browser.)

Why do you think that is and what can I do to rectify it? My site will be mainly for Denmark!!

Best regards,
Tony
Anthony Barber

Postby shannah » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:04 pm

Not sure why this would be happening. Can you send me the link so I can take a look?
shannah

plone.css not found

Postby Anthony Barber » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:18 am

Hi Steve,
This is the problem:-
When working I am using Eclipse and the Eclipse browser to view the Auction pages - every thing is OK.
I then go to another computer on my network and enter the local IP address and Webauction - everything is OK.
If I ask somebody else outside, to go on the Internet and look at my site then what they see is the same as if there was no plone.css file:- Login on the left of the screen, the two horizontal grey bars missing, fineprint on the left not centered.

I thought that maybe I had to move plone.css to another directory but, that didn't help.

Steve, why do you think that my plone.css is not visible from the Internet?
Best regards,
Tony
Anthony Barber

Found a solution!!

Postby Anthony Barber » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:57 am

Hi Steve,
I made a little one page test html with a css file and that worked fine.
The only difference between Webauction and my test was where the css file was. In my test it was next to the the html file.
So, I went to Dataface_Main_Template.html, and rem'd out the existing css file reference and added my test file reference, like this:-

" "

" link rel="stylesheet" href="plone.css">

I am pleased that it is working but I don't understand why I had to do that.
Can you explain that to me Steve?
Was my Dataface install not fully complete?
Best regards,
Tony
Anthony Barber

Postby shannah » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:37 am

OK. Here is the problem. In your config.inc.php, the DATAFACE_INSTALLATION_URL constant must be set to a local URL. You need to make this URL so that it will work over the internet.
shannah

The DATAFACE_INSTALLATION_URL

Postby Anthony Barber » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:21 am

Hi Steve,
I am very sorry but I have not been able to implement your help.
Here are my dataface path and URL from my config.inc.php

define('DATAFACE_INSTALLATION_PATH', 'C:\xampp\htdocs\dataface-0.7.1');

define('DATAFACE_INSTALLATION_URL', 'http://localhost/dataface-0.7.1');

I thought that my URL was local. What do I have to do to correct it? I have tried all sorts of variations. But, no joy.
Best regards,
Tony
Anthony Barber

Postby shannah » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:31 am

Hi Anthony,

That is your problem. 'localhost' is like an alias for the local computer. When someone on the other side of the internet tries to connect to a localhost address, they will, in effect, only be connecting to their own computer. You need to swap localhost for the domain name that the site is offered at over the internet (e.g. yourdomain.com).

Alternatively you could just use a relative URL for dataface if it is located at the same domain as the site.
e.g.
'/dataface-0.7.1' instead of 'http://localhost/dataface-0.7.1'

In summary you could have
http://yourdomain.com/dataface-0.7.1
or
/dataface-0.7.1
but not
http://localhost/dataface-0.7.1
shannah

Thank you Steve

Postby Anthony Barber » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:53 am

Hi Steve,
I did that and all is ok.:-)
I see the logic in what you said. It was certainly not something I would have thought of.
Steve, I really appreciate the help you give. That last piece of help could not have been faster, even if you had been in the same room as me.
Now I will move on and try and add a little of my own css styling to the site and get those two extra pictures showing (only if there are 2 extra pictures!!)
Many many thanks,
Tony
Anthony Barber

Return to Web Auction Discussion