A couple questions

A place to discuss and receive support for the Web Auction application.

A couple questions

Postby ddejarnett » Thu May 15, 2008 6:54 pm

Steve -

Great script - this thing rocks! I just have a couple questions:

-Can products be sold at a certain price? i.e. no auction

-How do you modify the location of items on the page? For example, I want to move "Login" to the center of the page. I've found it's "block" in the Main_Template and added <center> to it, but it centers the text inside a cell. How can I move this?

-Can the page be configured for a certain size? I don't want it to fill my entire browser window, I just want it to be roughly 800 pixels wide. Is this possible?

As you can see, I'm no programmer. I don't even have basic programming skills and usually just try things until they work. If I'm in over my head, please let me know.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
David
ddejarnett

Postby shannah » Fri May 16, 2008 6:42 am

As your modifications all pertain to changing the look and feel, I think a good place to start is with CSS (cascading style sheets).

There is plenty of information on the web to help you get started with CSS so I won't go into it here, but I'll give you an example of how you would go about this. If you look at the resulting HTML source, you'll find that the login link occurs in a block like:
Code: Select all
<div id="status-bar">

<div id="user-status">

<a href="http://demo.weblite.ca/apps/webauction/index.php?-table=products&-action=login&-cursor=0&-skip=0&-limit=30&-mode=list&-sort=product_categories+asc" title="Login">Login</a>         
    </div>
</div>

Now you can control the look and positioning of the user-status element via CSS.

Code: Select all
#user-status {
    width: 100%;
    text-align: center;
}

You'll have to do a little trial and error as there may be conflicting CSS that will prevent you from seeing the desired results at first, but keep plugging away until it looks right.

You can add your own CSS at the end of the style.css file.

It would be similar for changing the page width. Just change the width of a few key tags that contain the entire page, and you have your desired effect.

No need to delve into any of the PHP or templates... it can all be done with CSS.

-Steve
shannah

Return to Web Auction Discussion