Greetings From Michigan!

A place to discuss and receive support for the Library DB application.

Postby dwisn » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:17 am

Hi steve....

I have a question regarding the 'main' page @ http://demo.weblite.ca/

I _think_ i have it followed, but i'm still not sure.

so here goes..

1) the first page/entry that gets populated is the "Browse Books By Category" ( also mainly because of the 'default' action in the conf.ini

2) and then The left hand menu ( Menu & Audiences ) get populated by the class calls from, I think..... you edited ~/Dataface/templates/left_slot.html?

I got the first part down ( where I can list/show systems by functions & counts & the links work fine into the main systems db. BUT I'm kinda' stuck on how I build out the left side menu for additional selections by ( ie: state, country, type etc )...

I see the "
"

But I'm not sure where I call :

function block__before_application_menu(){

In advance,
Thanks
dan
dwisn

Postby shannah » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:42 am

the first page/entry that gets populated is the "Browse Books By Category" ( also mainly because of the 'default' action in the conf.ini

Correct.

and then The left hand menu ( Menu & Audiences ) get populated by the class calls from, I think..... you edited ~/Dataface/templates/left_slot.html

Although you can add information to the left menu this way, this is not how I did it. (and on a side note, if you wanted to do it by modifying the left_slot.html template, it would be best to copy the left_slot.html file into the application's templates directory, and modify that one. Dataface will automatically use your custom one instead).

I customized the left menu by implementing the block__before_application_menu() method of the books delegate class (tables/books/books.php), which performs some queries and then displays the audience_menu.html template with the results of the queries.

This highlights 2 separate ways to customize the interface of a dataface application:
1. Override a template.
2. Insert content into a block using the block__xxx methods.

For more info, check the relevant sections of the Getting started tutorial, or the Customizing Dataface's Look & Feel tutorial (http://framework.weblite.ca/documentation/tutorial/customizing-the-dataface-look-and-feel).

Best regards
Steve
--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby dwisn » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:56 am

Danke' sehr!
dwisn

Return to Library DB Discussion