Set reserve price?

A place to discuss and receive support for the Web Auction application.

Postby paulkruger » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:15 pm

Is there a way for an item to have a "reserve" price set? I am testing the idea of using this for real estate auctions and it is traditional for a seller to establish ahead of time a minimum acceptable price not visible to the public.

If at the time the auction is to close, the high bidder would receive a message either that 1) he/she has won the bid or that 2) he/she has the highest bid but that the reserve has not been met.

At the option of the seller he could accept the bid or ask the bidder to make another offer.

If I was a programmer myself I would write the code...but I am ignorant of PHP and have yet found out how to use Dataface to change anything in Webauction.

Any help is appreciated. Beer is on me !
paulkruger

Postby shannah » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:45 pm

Hi Paul,

This would require:

1. Add a field for reserve price (say it would be called reserve_price)

2. Define a reserve_price__permissions() method in the products delegate class to allow all access to admins and no access otherwise.

3. Make a small change to the closeAuction() function (in the include/functions.inc.php file) so that if the reserve is not met, a different email will be sent.

A small note about using Dataface to change things in WebAuction.Ê I think you have wrong impression of what Dataface is. It is an application frame work not a development environment.Ê I.e. it enables you to quickly develop and extend applications not by providing a development interface, but by providing a framework that you can tap into.

-Steve

--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby auctions4you » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:44 am

Paul,
Kind of in the same boat with not much experience in PHP, or mysql , Am trying to add two fields at present first is product_lot number ( to show the lot number of the auction) and second is reserve_ price,
Have added fields in mysql to the products table, how do I get them to be shown in the main categories?
Phil
auctions4you

Postby shannah » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:39 am

Hi Phil,

This depends on where you want the fields to show up. If you want to show this in the products list, then you would edit the public_product_list.html template. If you want this to also show up on the view product page then you would edit the view_product.html template (both in the templates directory of web auction).

In the public_product_list.html template you'll notice that the product is stored in a $product variable. To display the product_lot value you would do {$product->display('product_lot')}

The same goes for the view_product.html template.

-Steve
--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby auctions4you » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:33 am

Steve,
Thanks for that..
Phil
auctions4you

Postby paulkruger » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:40 am

Hi Paul,

This would require:

1. Add a field for reserve price (say it would be called reserve_price)

2. Define a reserve_price__permissions() method in the products delegate class to allow all access to admins and no access otherwise.

3. Make a small change to the closeAuction() function (in the include/functions.inc.php file) so that if the reserve is not met, a different email will be sent.

A small note about using Dataface to change things in WebAuction. I think you have wrong impression of what Dataface is. It is an application frame work not a development environment. I.e. it enables you to quickly develop and extend applications not by providing a development interface, but by providing a framework that you can tap into.

-Steve

Not sure if this new field should be under [bids] or under [products] section in the database?
paulkruger

Postby paulkruger » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:41 am

Once I have this working, I will post back the details of the MOD for anyone who needs to use it. Is there a specific place to post such mods?
paulkruger

Postby shannah » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:56 am

Hi Paul,

Probably the best way to post a MOD like this is to create a how-to document describing the mod, and attach whatever files you need.

A field like this should be added to the products table.

-Steve
--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby paulkruger » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:24 pm

Thanks.
paulkruger

Postby auctions4you » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:52 am

Thanks steve,
have added the field product_lot, was wondering if you could help me.
1. we are logged as admin (on the back end of dataface)
2. I would like to place a bid for say (user floorbidder) on there behalf as an phone bid say,
was wondering how I can have my new field product_lot appear here as we won?t be using the product_id as a reference, also when I place a bid for a product id that doesn?t exist it lets if go thru?

Phil Stacey
auctions4you

Postby shannah » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:35 pm

Hi Phil,

Though to respond to this one without some more details. What is a product_lot? Why would you be using product_lot instead of product_id as a reference?

Sounds like you are wanting to change the way the auction works somewhat - a little bit more involved than just adding a field.

-Steve
--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby auctions4you » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:03 am

Steve,
Want to use product_lot as reference for each auction, so that we can reference it.
In the catlog, see example http://www.auctions4you.co.uk/catalogue/
Is there a way to build a relationship between product_lot and product_id maybe?
Phil
auctions4you

Postby shannah » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:17 am

Ok.. the example helps. So the product lot is associated with the product and not the bid.. that makes things easier. The fact that you have the product lot # stored in the product record means that there is automatically a relationship. No need to respecify it when the user bids.

-Steve
--
Steve Hannah
@shannah78 (on twitter)
sjhannah.com blog
shannah

Postby auctions4you » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:43 am

steve, so how do I add the product_lot to the bid action (new record)(on the back end), so I don't have know the product_id? when placig bids on behalf of others?
Phil
auctions4you

Return to Web Auction Discussion