Can't download Web Auction

A place to discuss and receive support for the Web Auction application.

Can't download Web Auction

Postby angelhunter » Mon May 26, 2008 1:02 pm

I've tried downloading Web Auction from the Xataface website, but all that happens is my browswer locks up. Is there another download link available?
angelhunter

Postby shannah » Mon May 26, 2008 2:02 pm

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=596681

It seems to work ok for me. Perhaps try a different browser -- or restart your browser.
shannah

Thanks for the advice!

Postby angelhunter » Wed May 28, 2008 5:01 pm

Yup, that's the link (and apparently everything else to do with Sourceforge, including their homepage) that was giving me trouble. I took your advice, switched to Firefox and was able to download a file called Webauction-03.02.tar.gz, whatever a "tar.gz" is. I was hoping for a different link where I could just download the script in some simple form that I can work with.
angelhunter

Postby shannah » Wed May 28, 2008 5:13 pm

Hi Angelhunter,

A tar.gz is a gzipped TAR file.
http://www.gzip.org/

Most distributions that don't originate from windows will use this type of archive for distribution.
shannah

Postby angelhunter » Thu May 29, 2008 10:31 am

Thanks again, Shannah! Yup, I did a search and came up with the Gzip page, which told me nothing useful. I downloaded Gzip, which has no instructions. making it absolutely worthless to those of us with no background or interest in computer sciences. As I have been looking at the auction script as a real world application rather than an amusement device for developers, it's pretty clear I'm just spinning my wheels. But, again, I really do appreciate your efforts!
angelhunter

Postby shannah » Thu May 29, 2008 12:06 pm

As I have been looking at the auction script as a real world application rather than an amusement device for developers, it's pretty clear I'm just spinning my wheels.

It sounds as though installing your own script on your own web server might be a little out of reach at this point - until you have nailed down some of the basics of web hosting and installing scripts.

You may want to consider an auction service rather than looking for auction scripts, since any script is going to involve at least some knowledge of how to
a) extract an archive (zip or gzip or tar).
b) Be able to set some permissions on files and folders.
c) create a database.

At http://apps.weblite.ca I have set up the ability to host your own auction on our servers. This service is meant for people like you who don't want to mess with any of the details of hosting their own auction. It may be more appropriate.

Best regards
STeve
shannah

Postby angelhunter » Thu May 29, 2008 12:45 pm

Actually, I have quite a bit of experience with zip files, installing dozens and dozens of scripts (all delivered as zip files), setting permissions and creating more databases than I could count. In fact, at this time, I am operating 27 commercial websites utilizing 23 seperate and distinct primary scripts, numerous secondary scripts and multiple databases. And, in that experience, the only time I have ever encountered a "tar.giz" file is as a backup file that, should it be needed, is automatically re-installed through the host. Never, as a distribution method for a script. Of course, this method of distribution is the prerogative of the distributor, which I have no complaint with, particularly as this is offered as a free product. I just don't have the time or inclination to educate myself in the intricacies of script development and an obscure delivery system simply to install and operate one script.

I do appreciate the hosting offer. However, while the script has the exact features I'm looking for, it really would not be suitable to my purposes to have it hosted 'off site.'

Again, thanks for your time and advice!
angelhunter

Postby shannah » Thu May 29, 2008 3:09 pm

I just don't have the time or inclination to educate myself in the intricacies of script development and an obscure delivery system simply to install and operate one script.

If you check the stats. Freshmeat.net, the number one source for open source projects lists over 144,000 projects that are distributed using the tar.gz format, but only 27,000 projects that are distributed using ZIP.

Hence TAR.GZ is certainly not an obscure format. It is, in fact, the most popular format for distributing open source software - especially PHP scripts.

Strange that someone with the amount of experience listed has not run across this before.

On a proactive note, if you would like to learn how to open GZIP files on windows, this webpage provides a link to 7-Zip a utility which will extract GZIP files on windows. It also provides a pretty good explanation of the reason for TAR.GZ:
http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/tgz.html

Best regards

Steve
shannah

Return to Web Auction Discussion