display end users' place in bidding.

A place to discuss and receive support for the Web Auction application.

display end users' place in bidding.

Postby charleyhankins » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:46 pm

My customer is selling land and he doesn't want the end users seeing what the current winning bid is. He just wants the users to know where they are in the bidding if they are not the top bidder.

i.e. if there is one bidder higher than the user, then that user would be in place #2. If there are five bids higher than his, then he is in place #6.

maybe better would be to display all of the bidders in order of their place in the bidding. Or displaying them with a number beside their name displaying their place. My customer doesn't mind each end user knowing where the others are in place, he just doesn't want them to be able to see the dollar amount that the other bidders are bidding.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
CH
charleyhankins

Postby shannah » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:52 pm

This is a bit tricky because web auction won't allow (or at least isn't intended to allow) people to make bids that are lower than the current high bid.

Therefore, even if we hid the current winning bid from the template (which is easy to do), the user would still be able to guess the winning bid when it comes time for him to place a bid, because he would be forced to enter something higher than the current high bid. Hope that makes sense.

To make this sort of change you'd have to carefully rethink the application's core functionality. E.g. in such an application you probably wouldn't want outbid notifications either.

-Steve
shannah

Customized?

Postby charleyhankins » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:35 pm

That's a shame. :( I really like your software.

Is there any way it could be customized to display customer ranking?

Thanks,
CH
charleyhankins

Postby charleyhankins » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:05 pm

I just need to know if it's possible before I give up on it. :(

Thanks,
CH
charleyhankins

Postby shannah » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:53 pm

Hi Charley,

Sorry for the late reply. Well.. anything's possible. Web Auction is not a complex application (the first version which contains all the core was written and deployed in one day).

You'd need to make a change in a few places, including:

1. The view_product.html template (in the templates directory). ( or you could change the current_high_bid__display() method in the tables/products/products.php file.

2. Remove the constraint that a bid must be higher than all previous bids in the beforeSave() method of the bids delegate class (i.e. tables/bids/bids.php).

3. Scour the source for any place either in email notifications etc.. where it might display the high bid...

Definitely possible... just would take a little digging around.

-Steve
shannah

Postby shannah » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:55 pm

Oh.. and when I say "scour the source", most of the guts are found inside the include/functions.inc.php file, the tables directory, and the templates directory.

You can completely ignore the dataface directory.

-Steve
shannah

Postby charleyhankins » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:07 am

Hey! Thanks a great deal. I'll 'scour' this evening and see what I can do. I'll let ya know how it comes out. :?

Thanks again,
CH
charleyhankins

Postby moonisharsh » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:47 pm

Well,here you go, pls also advise outcome later for our reference,thanks.
moonisharsh

Return to Web Auction Discussion