Strange Login Error After Installation

A place to discuss and receive support for the Web Auction application.

Strange Login Error After Installation

Postby olen1009 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:13 pm

This is strange. Had no problem uploading/extracting the files, creating database, editing conf.ini file as instructed. But, when I try to get to the auction or admin page, this is what I get. (I never specified a password of "YES")

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home/questfun/public_html/auction/webauction-0.3.5/dataface/Dataface/Application.php on line 251
Error connecting to the database: Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :shock:
olen1009

Re: Strange Login Error After Installation

Postby shannah » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:00 am

"Using password: YES" simply indicates that you are using a password. Not that the password is "YES". The alternative to this error message would be "using password: NO" if you tried to connect without specifying a password.

So this error message means that the user you are trying to connect as doesn't have permission to connect to the database. The cause is one of:

1. The username/password in your conf.ini file is wrong.
2. The user specified doesn't have permission to connect to MySQL.

Things to check.

1. Check the permissions for that user in your MySQL database. Ensure that the hostname/username/password are all correct.
2. Make sure you reload MySQL permissions after making changes to the user permissions.

-Steve
shannah

Postby olen1009 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:34 am

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply. I had changed the username/password to admin/password, to make it easy to get this up and running. I did change the permissions in the two instances listed in the documentation...except that I did not give the "world" write permission. Should those two instances have "777" permissions???

I did notice, after I wrote my inquiry...that it said USING PASSWORD: YES...I had not noticed the colon in the error. Still, the database does have an admin/password user associated with it and the user has all permissions possible for the database...
olen1009

Postby shannah » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:03 pm

HI olen,

I wasn't actually referring to the file permissions. Only to the mysql permissions. Presumably you created a user in your mysql database that web auction can use to access mysql. This is the user and associated permissions to consider when dealing with this error.

-Steve
shannah

Postby olen1009 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:35 pm

I understand. The database was created and, to make things easy, I created a user with the standard username and password...as I can always change that later...and associated that user with the database with ALL user permissions. AND, still get that error. That is why is said it is strange!
olen1009

Postby shannah » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:43 pm

Did you flush/reload the permissions after creating the user?
shannah

Postby olen1009 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:08 pm

I am not certain what you mean about flushing/reloading user permissions in MySQL. However, the user name and password are the basic ones mentioned in the configuration instructions...I figured I could always change them later.

Also, when I created the user and associated user with the database, the user was given all possible permissions. I never had this problem before.

Any further help or suggestions would be appreciated. I am at a complete standstill if I cannot log into

http://www.questfundingservices.us/auction
olen1009

Postby olen1009 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:25 pm

I went into MySQL-admin and found the reload command. Interestingly, it says I do not have permission to do that, even though, when I created the user, I gave it every permission possible...

ALL PRIVILEGES
SELECT CREATE
INSERT ALTER
UPDATE DROP
DELETE LOCK TABLES
INDEX REFERENCES
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES CREATE ROUTINE

This is becoming frustrating...
olen1009

Postby shannah » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:57 pm

There are only 3 possibilities here:

1. Your username and password specified in your conf.ini file are not the same as the username and password you set up for the user when you created the database.
2. You have the wrong host specified in the conf.ini file (some web hosts actually use a different server for MySQL than for the webserver, so in those cases you would have to use the proper host name rather than just localhost).
3. You need to flush permissions (reload) for the changes to take effect (i.e. the user hasn't really been created yet.

You might want to create a minimal test php script to try to connect. That will help you narrow it down.
Code: Select all
<?php
$db = mysql_connect('hostname', 'username','password');
if ( !$db ) die("Couldn't connect to database: ");
$res = mysql_select_db("dbname", $db);
if ( !$res ) die("Couldn't select database: ".mysql_error($db));

Other things you can look for:
Some hosts prepend a prefix to the name of any database that you create... make sure your database name is the correct full name.

-Steve
shannah

Postby olen1009 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks, Steve.

How do I utilize that little php script???

The database does have a prefix, questfun_, which precedes the database name.

I have asked the question of my hosting tech support, but as far as i know, "localhost" is the server.

I have also browsed the database and the "admin" user is listed. I have also deleted and recreated the user to make sure the password was correct.

Still lost in limbo here!
olen1009

Postby olen1009 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:19 pm

Steve,
I just realized what you were suggesting with that little script. I copied the test into a file called "test.php", uploaded to my server, ran it and this is the response.

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home/questfun/public_html/test.php on line 2
Couldn't connect to database:

What about changing the password in the config file to "" and then deleting/recreating the user and not entering a password for the user in My SQL. Would that, possibly, work? It does seem that the problem is password related...

Thanks for the help...
olen1009

Postby shannah » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:56 pm

I'd be thinking more along the lines of creating a new user that you KNOW should work... try to get your test script to connect to it. If your test script won't connect, nothing will.

You may want to consider seeking support on this issue from your web hosting provider if you can't figure out how to connect to your mysql database with any user.
shannah

Postby olen1009 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:14 pm

I hear what you are saying, Steve, and I have requested tech support from my web host. BUT, mustn't the username and password in the database match that which is in the config file? The config file admin is simply admin/password and that is what I set up when the database was created. I even deleted the user, twice, and recreated it, as above, and associated same with the database. As I said...this is frustrating...
olen1009

Return to Web Auction Discussion